Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lost In Translation

My calculus professor (I don't know his name, so don't ask) has a fairly heavy accent, Russian from what I can tell based on his frequently rolled r's and misplaced word emphasis. It's fun to listen to him talk, but none of it sinks in (probably because it's calc, not because of his accent).

I just ordered the book today...hopefully it'll be here soon...


Instead of paying attention to the math stuff, I jot down amusing things he says. Like when he starts class he tells us to ask him questions, "but not about what I did night before." He was joking...I think.

There are some people that I can't stand because they ask questions on simple things, and I guess the professor noticed this problem. So one day he said "Before we starrt, let's recall algebra some." You just gotta say it out loud. It keeps me smiling early in the morning. Then, when someone else asked a question about a problem, he didn't understand why they were asking the question and answered "But I did you example 5."

Other fun quotes:
"This is graph." *points at graph*
"I choose even so if I make mistake you cannot get me," on why we do only even problems in class.
"Read the section. Language in book better den mine."

Funny pronunciation:
inter-vall: interval
calk-ulate: calculate
flotates: flotates(?)

I am also working on a song to express my feelings about calculus. I have the first verse: "F of x, you are the bane of my life..."

Note: Don't get me wrong, the professor is very capable of teaching calc, in fact he's quite smart. Good thing I can understand him, though, because other people seem to be having trouble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathy,
Aren't foreign speaking professors fun? I know your pain I have had 3 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 South African, and as of next year 1 English professor. I remember hearing "comcast" (compass) during my first semester. For the next hour I was confused on why she talked about a cable company. I would also like to make the comment the man in the yellow hat is very hot...
Love, PJ

Jómy said...

Accents are SOO fun, and I think that us two, being from the towns and high schools we are, are more prone to appreciate them in good/bad ways...
I think it's great! We're more prepared for an ever-changing, ever-advancing United States of America!
LUVVITTTT!

Oh, and who WOULDN'T like to be taught calc by a monkey!?